Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Rebel Runner

I did it! 
I am a Rebel and I went against what basically everyone said and I participated in and completed the runDisney Rebel Challenge.
For those of you who don't know, I was basically on bed rest due to a torn peroneal tendon from October 14th until January 5th. I was given the okay to go back to work on January 14th (the day I flew to California) but had the race vacation already booked and HR let me go on as planned. 

The title of this post is misleading. I didn't run the challenge. I walked the 5K, the 10K, and the 1/2 marathon. There were tears and a LOT of cursing. I ended up back in a wheelchair for days but was able to return to work as scheduled. 

When I hit the wall during the half and felt like I just couldn't keep going, I thought about my mom. She had diabetic neuropathy and was in agony every time she took a step. She used to say her feet burned and had pins and needles and hurt but were numb at the same time and I didn't understand. Well, now I do. I realized that even when she was at the very end of her life she was in pain and yet she didn't give up and fought so hard to the very end. I knew that if she could have taken one more step she would have and almost felt that I owed those steps to her. 
I was never athletic growing up. I tried, but I don't really like to sweat and I have asthma and fibromyalgia and really really like laying down. My mom was an athlete. She played tennis against Billie Jean King. I always felt like I disappointed her a bit even when I was named captain of the cheer squad.

I don't think she'd be disappointed this time. 


What keeps you going when you just don't think you could take another step? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Happy! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.