Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games Trilogy

Let me just say that this review is either going to be too short or too long. I don't want to say too much and end up ruining anything for those of you who haven't read this series yet. I am also so obsessed with this series that I could just sit here and write about it forever and a day.


Something about this story just spoke to me. I am well aware of how lame that sounds, and I don't even care. It was AMAZING. My bffl Sara was talking about it for weeks and I'm the type of person who normally boycotts things when it looks like the masses are enjoying it. I suck like that, so I rolled my eyes as I promised to read it if she dropped it off for me. (Sorry Sara, I know you couldn't see the eyeroll, but it was there and I now feel super guilty and stupid for it)

I got the first book, The Hunger Games, on a Thursday night and started it sometime Friday. By Saturday afternoon I was done and when I got to the last page and saw the words "End of book 1" I immediately texted Sara with, "WTF?! How could you not leave me book two???" or something along those lines. I debated whether I should go pick up book 2, or wait to find someone to borrow it from, when all of a sudden, light shown down from the heavens and focused on my iPad. OF COURSE!! It's 2011 and even though I am ANTI the e-reader movement b/c real books are my favorite thing ever, I immediately checked my Kindle app and purchased the digital version.

But, I had a problem. I had to pace myself. One of the girls from work who has now made it on to my "favorite people ever" list had offered to lend me book three, but it was only Saturday and I wouldn't see her till Monday. I made book two last with only 10 pages left by the time I got to work on Monday. Then, I realized that we were closing early and the stock girls were not on the schedule which meant, NO... it couldn't be... I wouldn't be getting the book till the following week?!?!?! Thankfully my new favorite person never checked the schedule and came in anyway, with book in hand, and saved the day.

Knowing that there were only three books in the series, I decided to take it even slower with the last book. I made it last till Wednesday night. When I was done with the very last word, on the very last page, of the very last book, there were tears in my eyes. NOT b/c of the writing or the ending of the story, but because the story was over. These characters I had learned to love, and trust, (and distrust) and bonded with...were all of a sudden gone. I will never know any more information about Katniss, or Peeta, or Haymitch. This breaks my heart. I feel as though I'm mourning the loss of a friend.

So, go, right now, and get a copy of these books. I've provided a link to the box set, but you can also buy them one at a time with free super saver shipping on Amazon, or download them to your e-reader... borrow them from a friend, or from the library... I don't care what you do as long as you READ these books.


Oh, I guess I should tell you a bit about what happens otherwise this isn't a very good review is it?
Life, death, rebellion, love, trust, enemies, government, growing up, a black cat, siblings, friendship, war, despair, and above all else, hope.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to read them. I thought the same thing when everyone else was reading them. I guess that's why it took me so long to finally pick them up. There is a reason everyone loves them!
    I <3 Peeta! HG4L!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trilogy was definitely a good purchase for me. I literally could not put it down. I ended up reading the entire series in only three days! For anyone who enjoys a story that has action and a hint of romance, I recommend it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Can I borrow the mockingjay image in b&w? I'll be printing a shirt for myself. : D

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Happy! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.