Saturday, April 9, 2011

Recipe: Cabage Salad aka Cole Slaw

I know that I have been MIA lately. I apologize and beg your forgiveness. I appreciate those of you who have stayed around.

Today, as a token of my appreciation, I present to you a delicious, low calorie snack/lunch/side dish that is perfect for spring and summer especially once BBQ season hits.

Now, I know that most people probably know how to make cole slaw. I realize that this isn't a ground breaking recipe. BUT I didn't know how to make it, had never made it before, and wasn't sure how it would turn out. Being on a diet that allows me to have three 100 calorie snacks a day is great. Except I get so sick of eating those pre packaged snacks, and some fruit is actually way over 100 calories per serving. This recipe has allowed me to bring a filling snack to work, and also given me more side dish choices for lunch and dinner.

Ingredients:(makes one serving)
1 1/2 cups of pre packaged cole slaw mix. (I use the kind with green and red cabbage and carrots)
1 table spoon lite mayo
1 table spoon white vinegar (red works too but i only had white on hand)
course black pepper
salt



Instructions:
Place cole slaw mix, mayo, and vinegar in a bowl.
Mix
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Refrigerate. Serve chilled.


Easy right?! The best part? One serving is only 55 calories!

3 comments:

  1. Cole slaw is my absolute favorite. I could eat bowls and bowls of this. Since you are eating this as a side dish/snack, maybe you can add more veggies to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is one of my favorites that is so easy to make! Unfortunately, I'm the only one that likes it in my house. And I can never eat all of it before it goes bad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed your blogs! But we bloggers know life gets int he way :)

    You know what's crazy ... I love that mix BUT am not a fan of it once it's actually made into slaw! Am I a weirdo or what?

    Funny story - back in the day, before your time I'm sure, my mom and I would go to West Hempstead's Shopper's Village -- which I hear is back! There was a little healthy lunch place in the food court there and always being a dieting chubber kid, my mom and I would get these veggie pitas, the place was called, "Eat it in a Pita!" Turned out, our fave pita was just that same veggie mix with a slice of cheese melted on top of it and stuffed in a warm pita! Ha ha! When we figured it out, we made it ourselves. You may wanna try it sometime, even though it may sound icky.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Happy! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.