Wednesday, December 1, 2010

World AIDS Day - December 1st

Jazzy is wearing red today. Are you?

Over 90,000 people are living with HIV in the UK and new infections continue every year. World AIDS Day 2010 is all about raising awareness to tackle HIV prejudice and help stop the spread of HIV. 

Myth: I don’t know anyone living with HIV.
Today there are more people than ever before living with HIV in the UK, but less people report knowing someone with HIV. People with HIV generally look healthy and many do not find it easy to tell other people, so you may not realise if someone you know if HIV positive. 

Someone I grew up with recently came out and told the world that he is HIV positive.
He has been an inspiration to me. While I have always wanted to spread awareness, and be an activist, I honestly never had a personal connection and it was hard for me to really connect to the cause. Like many theater kids I am/was obsessed with RENT, and that helped educate me a little bit when I was younger but I really never got involved with anything. 

While Chris and I are not close, and haven't spoken (other than through Facebook) in close to 10 years, in fact, my last vivid memory of hanging out with him was at his 16th birthday party, he is someone that I have always liked and who I have come to admire. I think that if you got to know him, you'd like and admire him too.
Please check out his blog (http://christophervshiv.blogspot.com) and his youtube channel




 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Happy! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.