Monday, November 22, 2010

Last Minute Thanksgiving Craft/Hostess Gift Idea

I hate going to a holiday dinner/gathering empty handed. I am always looking for cute little things to bring with me.
This year I'll be bringing my Wilton Cake Decorating Basics finale cake to dinner but since everyone won't have the time to make a fancy cake like that, I thought I'd look for something for my readers to take along.

I found a super quick and yummy treat idea over at Organized Christmas. This website has been amazing to me this year and I am so glad I found it. Ignore the part that says Christmas because it's also got things for Halloween and Thanksgiving, the holidays that lead up to Christmas. Stay tuned next year when I attempt to follow their plan from August through New Year's Day.

What's great about that link is that they not only provide the ideas, they also give directions and free printable tags.

Thanksgiving Blessing Mix Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups Bugles brand corn snacks
2 cups small pretzels
1 cup candy corn
1 cup dried fruit bits or raisins
1 cup peanuts or sunflower seeds
1 cup M&Ms-brand chocolate candy

16 Hershey's-brand chocolate kisses
free printable blessing mix gift tags or bag toppers.
Directions:
In a large bowl, gently mix all ingredients except Hershey's Kisses.
Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup Thanksgiving Blessing Mix in small cellophane treat bags. Add one Hershey's Kiss to each bag. Close bag with chenille stem or twist-tie.
Print 4 copies of the Thanksgiving Blessings Mix printable gift tag or or bag toppers, or hand-write your own tags with the wording below.
Cut out tags, and attach one to each bag.
Makes 16 Blessing Mix gift bags.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanksgiving Blessing Mix
Bugles: Shaped like a cornucopia or Horn of Plenty, a symbol of our nation's abundance.
Pretzels: Arms folded in prayer, a freedom sought by those who founded our country.
Candy corn: Sacrifices of the Pilgrims' first winter. Food was so scarce that settlers survived on just a few kernels of corn a day.
Nuts or seeds: Promise of a a future harvest, one we will reap only if seeds are planted and tended with diligence.
Dried fruits: Harvest gifts of our bountiful land.
M&Ms: Memories of those who came before us to guide us to a blessed future.
Hershey's Kiss: The love of family and friends that sweetens our lives.


What are you bringing to the Thanksgiving Table this year?

2 comments:

  1. You'd never get all the Bugles in, they're one of Mr. Nick's favorites. He'd steal them out of all the bags. I myself as a treat would prefer a bag of money instead. Think about that as a treat....Ohhh...Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas! Though I won't have family at my house, the kids and I will have fun doing them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Happy! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.