Sunday, October 31, 2010

Easy Halloween Craft Idea





Halloween is my favorite holiday. I look forward to it year round, and some even say I dress like it's Halloween every day.
I have always wanted to be a witch. Not the kind from The Craft, although that is an awesome movie that I know every word to, but the old school pointy hat, black cat, making potions by candle light kind of witch.

I accomplished the first part a few years ago when I got Petey. He's my little Halloween Cat. This is him just a few moments ago. Isn't he the cutest?

 Anyway, the point of this post was that, while I'm not a witch, Halloween lets me pretend I am. With this simple craft that I did today you can pretend along with me.

I took 2 antique spice racks (yes, I collect spice racks and bottles. It's a little bit of an obsession) and turned them into potion racks!

This isn't the finished product, but it gives you a good idea of what I did and I promise after trick or treating I will post a completed project photo.


The rack on the right and the one in the photo right above this, is the "dry rack" this is what it includes:
Top Row Left to Right:
Hamburger Spice and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: Dragon Scales
Onion Powder: Mummy Dust
Kosher Salt - Children's Tears
Cloves - Bone of Bat
Chilli Powder - Dried Virgin's Blood
These are my measuring spoons (dash, pinch etc) however I replaced those with rubber cockroaches.

Bottom Row Left to Right:
Bay leaves - Frog Skin
Fennel - Maggots
Chocolate Sprinkles - Rat Poop
Mustard Seeds - Eye of Newt
Mix of bay leaves, Fennel, Chili Powder - Zombie Flesh
Ground Black Pepper - Hallowed Ground


The other rack is going to be wet ingredients as well as completed potions which will be accomplished by adding different beverages to the bottles and/or water with food coloring.
I haven't come up with all of them yet but some of the names will be:
Love Potion #1
Love Potion #13
Black of Night
Old Hag's Cackle
Scream of Fright
Zombie Drool
Dragon's Blood
 Invisibility
Beauty
Melted First Snow
Liquid Courage

Add some cobwebs and voila! You have a great centerpiece for your Halloween Party. If I were having an actual party, I probably would have tried to use ice cream toppings in the jars and served a build your own sundae bar where the guests could make their own evil potions of yumminess. The liquid cabinet would probably be a lot of fun with alcohol that guests could drink as shots.

If you could have a magic potion, any magic potion, what would you want it to be/do?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Happy! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.