Sunday, January 30, 2011

Progress on becoming a lady...

Holding the title of Lady comes with the responsibility of actually looking and behaving like one. This wasn't something I was really prepared for when hubby and I gained our titles but it's something I have been trying to embrace.

Working from home for a few years really slowed down this progress since my only "subjects" were my family, best friends, and my fur babies. (None of whom really cared if I hung out in yoga pants and a hoodie all day with my hair a sloppy "bun")
Now that I have a new job things have really changed. Someone said something last week that really hit a nerve but instead of getting upset, I decided to use it as a jump start for what I'm going to call the "Lady Hill Project"

I used to take chances with with my style, but somewhere along the line I got timid. Well, as you can tell by yesterday's post, I've decided to put an end to that.

I wore an outfit that I never thought I could pull off, got a haircut that puts me on my way to my dream cut, and wore makeup colors that I was too afraid to try a week ago.
Guess what?
It felt GOOD to get out of my comfort zone. Going to work today was like bungie jumping. I needed to take that leap. I was nervous, thinking that there was no way I could pull this off, thinking I'd get laughed out of the boutique... and yet, that didn't happen, quite the opposite actually. Even if it did happen, I think I might have been okay, b/c I felt good. I liked the me I kept seeing in the mirror when I passed by... It was awesome.

So, I need to keep the momentum going. I plan on getting my eyebrows done so I look a little less like a grumpy old man, and I also want to go and get my nails done. The nails are something I have always loved doing but always felt guilty about spending money on. The last time I had them done professionally was for my wedding! I also need to dye my hair. I spent about a year growing it out to get it to my natural color, and now that it is 100% my natural color I can say "well, at least I tried" because it is SO not what I remember it being. The last time it was all my natural color was when I was 15 so I guess it was a little silly to assume I'd still be a fabulous blond after all those years... Now I just need to decide what color to go with. Highlights so I can be a "real" blond, or do I go red? Maybe I'll let you vote to decide! I'm also going to go on a small shopping spree to get some new clothes.

I deserve to feel pretty, I need to remember that.

What is something you do that helps you feel pretty/pampered/feminine?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I've made similar changes recently, though back-sliding a little due to temporarily working full time. Keep it up! I'll be your cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Happy! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.